Re: Europa-List: Anyone have an aft mounted Odyssey PC535 or PC545?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Anyone have an aft mounted Odyssey PC535 or PC545?
From: Robert Borger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 09:13:01

Hi Ron,

You are probably aware of my aircraft through the build web site, but
here are the answers for my build.  No recommendations, just answers.

On Dec 28, 2008, at 1:59, rparigoris wrote:

> Anyone have an aft mounted Odyssey PC535 or PC545?

I have an aft-mounted Odessey PC680 (RG/AGM, 680 cranking amps & 15
lbs.)

> What motor you have?

Rotax 914UL with the high-torque starter.

#4 copper as provided by Europa with the electrical harness kit.

> How old is battery?

4 years, mostly in storage

> How has battery performed?

Fantastic.  After two years in storage, without putting it on a
charger, it still ran my instrument panel.  Ran the panel tests for
several months before I put it on a charger the first time.  Most of
the last two years it ran electrical tests on the airframe with
occasional re-charging with a plain vanilla Sears battery charger.
The 680 has served to setup the engine for starting (building initial
oil pressure, etc.) and has started the 914 several times.  The
battery will turn the 914 with great vigor, such that it will start
with the passage of two of three three blades.   About 6 months ago I
purchased a new Schumacher intelligent charger/maintainer (as
recommended by 'Lectric Bob) which has been on it almost continuously
since.

> Does battery have a metal jacket?

No, but it is on a metal tray and is secured with a metal strap.

> I am considering one of these batteries for aft mounted XS monowheel
> 914 install with CCA #4 cables. I have new style starter (more
> torque and less amp draw).
>
> 535 and 545 is lighter than 625 (12.0lbs + 11.7lbs compared to
> 13.2). Aluminium wires will save ~ 1 pound over #4 copper tefzel
> from ACS.
>
> Since battery is not in engine compartment I don't think I need a
> metal jacket. Please set me straight if you think a metal jacket is
> a good idea.
>
> Ron Parigoris

Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
(99.999% done) Essentially complete.  Running Tests & Final Inspections.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123
Cel:  817-992-1117