Europa-List: Re: Europa - Instrument Rating.

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Europa - Instrument Rating.
From: rampil <ira.rampil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 07:57:56

Two more cents from the US contingent.

Having finally obtained my instrument rating last summer, I have
been flying IFR for practice and some real trips in actual wx.

The only real limitation, to my mind is the gas tank.  With appropriate
IFR reserves (Alternate airport plus 45 min), there is less than two
hours flying.  My usual cruise uses a wee bit over 5 gph at 3000 msl
and the burn rate increases with altitude (some day I will crunch the
data and provide a report).  At 8k msl, the burn rate is over 6 despite
the MP being about 5" less (constant speed prop). Until someone gets
some real experience with the GreenSky HAC leaning device, altitude
does not appear to be a fix for the 912s.

As for equipment, in the US, the regs only require Nav equipment
appropriate to the NAV and approaches being used.  It is entirely
legal to use a single NavCom radio with VOR/Loc/ILS. No requirement
for redundancy in 14CFR91.

--------
Ira N224XS

Read this topic online here: