RE: Europa-List: Europa - Instrument Rating.

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Europa - Instrument Rating.
From: Richard Iddon <riddon@sent.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 23:10:25
Well said Mike.  What a great solution that would be.

Richard Iddon G-RIXS

I too read with interest the night/IFR article in the latest LAA
Magazine.

It seems to me there are many problems here both for a Europa as an
aircraft but more importantly for the sport pilot.

What I would like is the approval to climb to VMC 'on top' and cruise to
a destination out of that 1500-2500' area that so many pilots seem to
prefer.  To me that altitude is 'shark infested custard' and I avoid it
like the plague if I can.  I much prefer to be in the area of FL80 or
so.  Generally if above the cloud, the ride is smoother, the visibility
better and there are not so many people there. The only requirement for
such a flight might be that the weather at the destination field should
allow a safe descent to VMC below for a VFR recovery and landing.   The
minimum equipment specified for flight in Class A airspace is I suggest
OTT for most europas;  indeed, I am not sure that the minimum
requirement applies to non Public Transport aircraft.  Any experts out
there.....