Europa-List: Europa - Instrument Rating.

Subject: Europa-List: Europa - Instrument Rating.
From: Mike Parkin <mikenjulie.parkin@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 22:21:44
I too read with interest the night/IFR article in the latest LAA
Magazine.

It seems to me there are many problems here both for a Europa as an
aircraft
but more importantly for the sport pilot.

What I would like is the approval to climb to VMC =91on top=92 and
cruise to a
destination out of that 1500-2500=92 area that so many pilots seem to
prefer.
To me that altitude is =91shark infested custard=92 and I avoid it like
the
plague if I can.  I much prefer to be in the area of FL80 or so.
Generally
if above the cloud, the ride is smoother, the visibility better and
there
are not so many people there. The only requirement for such a flight
might
be that the weather at the destination field should allow a safe descent
VMC below for a VFR recovery and landing.   The minimum equipment
specified
for flight in Class A airspace is I suggest OTT for most europas;
indeed, I
am not sure that the minimum requirement applies to non Public Transport
aircraft.  Any experts out there.....

I personally would never consider flying X-country at night in a single
engine aircraft, to me the risk of a forced landing in the dark is too
high.
Old and bold  pilots.........etc.

My concern as far as the aircraft is concerned, is that the CAA are
likely
to make it so difficult that the cost would become prohibitive.   The
thought of how I can install a pitot heater in my plastic wing and power
it
is just the start of the problems.

If anyone thinks that they will be able to join an airway in the UK, IFR
in
a europa in the foreseeable future, then they are dreaming.

Even if the aircraft was certified for IFR flight in Class A airspace I
would suggest that the pilot rating requirements are a bridge too far
for
most sport pilots.  We currently still enjoy the IMC rating for private
pilots in the UK, which is a useful tick in the box for inexperience
instrument pilots.  But the IMC rating is not going to cut it in an
airway.
That means our aspiring europa airways pilot is going to have to take
the
dreaded Instrument Rating.   Now the last time I checked an IR course,
initially completed in a twin, together with the
aircraft/instructor/examiner hire was well into 5 figures in cost alone.
Annual renewal for an IR is probably going to cost in the order of
=A3500
minimum.   Really an instrument rating for most recreational pilots is a
non
starter.

For those of us with an IR from our job, the situation is not much
better.
Most airline pilots hold a Multi-crew IR which I don=92t think reads
across to
Single Engine Piston,  certainly, I had to requalify with a Single Crew
IR
to obtain my King Air rating=92.

The LAA are to be congratulated on their success with the ongoing
European
legislation ' and hopefully they will continue in the future with that
success.  However, I do believe that we should strive   for a realistic
expansion of our certification boundaries.

The aircraft modifications and standby equipment should be kept to an
absolute minimum, commensurate with safety, certainly we do not need
clearance to fly in icing conditions.  The real icing on the cake (no
pun
intended) would be international recognition of the IMC rating and a
European wide approval to fly VMC on top and to fly IFR (off airways)
when
required.  It really is much safer to fly IFR above Safety Altitude than
grovel around in the murk below cloud ' AS LONG AS THE PILOT IS
SUITABLE
QUALIFIED AND CURRENT.

I look forward to the future developments with interest.

Regards,

Mike Parkin   (G-JULZ still in bits