Re: Europa-List: Re: Dynon Autopilot

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Dynon Autopilot
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:17:18

Hi all,

I fly my Europa IFR in actual IMC condtions a fair bit, although I try
to plan my flights where the actual approach generally means I break
through the cloud layer and I land under VFR conditions.  As you can
imagine it doesn't always turn out that way.

I have designed my panel to accommodate this flight profile as best as
I could, at least for the amount of money I was prepared to invest.

I have created several levels of redundancy.  I have a Digitrack auto
pilot which is completely stand alone, on a redundant electrical buss.

I have done the same for the GRT glass panel, and it is backed up with
a separate ASI, Altimeter, DG and Artificial Horizon, again on on a
redundant electrical buss.

So, I guess I taking long winded way of saying, having the auto pilot
tightly coupled to the Glass Panel like Dynon has done is okay, but
you have to appreciate your potential failure modes and fly your
mission profile against the risk level you are prepared to accept.

Regards,  Paul