Re: {Spam?} Europa-List: Oil tank venting

Subject: Re: {Spam?} Europa-List: Oil tank venting
From: R Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 14:57:50

Carl Pattinson wrote:

> When we originally installed our oil tank (5 years ago)
> the vent line was routed to the side of the cowling.
> The end result is that there is a smell of oil coming
> in from the NACA vent when the aircraft is climbing. I
> suspect the location of the outlet pipe is also in the
> airstream resulting in an excessive loss of oil as it
> is getting sucked out (and coating the side of the
> fuselage).
>
> I was under the impression was that the solution would
> be to route the vent pipe via a collector bottle but
> reading the manual Europa recommend just routing it to
> the bottom of the cowling (the bottle being optional).
>
> My concern over the bottle arrangement is how long it
> takes to fill up the overflow bottle with oil and how
> frequently one would need to remove the cowling (to
> empty the bottle).
>
> So, based on communal experience which is likely to be
> the best arrangement - routing via the bottle or
> omitting the bottle and ensuring the outlet isnt placed
> in the airflow where it could be sucked out.
>
> One thought was to terminate the line at the exit of
> the exhaust stub (using copper tube)  which would
> hopefully vaporise and burn off any oil that escaped.
> The arrangement would need to ensure no suction took
> place - perhaps terminating using a T piece.
>
> Suggestions please ?

I have 350 hours and 5 1/2 years on my Europa and I have
never needed to empty my overflow bottle ! It has an
insignificant amount of oil in it ! Is is tucked between
the engine mounting frame and the firewall, resting on the
top of the radiator ducting.

HTH

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842804 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                    email : richard.holder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, (High Cross)
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)
Cessna 177B : Cardinal : N1454C, KILG (Wilmington, Delaware)