Re: Europa-List: Rotax Tacho

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax Tacho
From: Roger Anderson <pr@dcanderson.myzen.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:53:34

Paul,
    I think that the problem may be that the tacho coil is picking up
secondary impulses as the speed increases - which accounts for the doubling
of the reading. The Rotax manual does show a graph of the output from the
coil which does show secondary impulses. I suggest that a slight increase in
the gap might cure the problem.
    Modellers use a battery operated gadget which works on the strobe effect
of the prop to measure the speed of their props. I bought one when I was
having a similar problem with my tacho, it wasn't very expensive an it did
reassure me that the engine was not in fact overspeeding.
        Roger (G-BXTD)