Re: Europa-List: O2 needs at altitude

Subject: Re: Europa-List: O2 needs at altitude
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 09:58:51

Hi Craig,

I have a Mountain High pulse on demand system with a 22 cubic foot
Kevlar cylinder mounted on the back of the "D" bulk head.  The pulse
demand unit sits between the two pilots and I am using the pneumatic
on off switch / valve that Mountain High supply.  This is mounted in
the over head panel.  It did require me running tubing around the
place and threading through my already full cable ducts was a bit of a
pain, but it is all out of sight and looks fairly neat.

So far I am delighted with the system.  Most of my flying is two cross
country legs of 3 to 3.5 hours.  Winds permitting I typically fly in
the 14,000 to 16,000 feet range.  The cylinder seems to last a very
long time.  To be honest apart from my initial fill, I haven't bought
oxygen since, I get it filled at airshows twice a year and Jim Butcher
gave me a fill once, so running out on a cross country trip is just
not a concern.

>From a physiological perspective I always use it from 10,000 feet and
above, and if I know I am climbing to that altitude I use it from the
commencement of the flight.  The Mountain High unit can be set to turn
itself on automatically from 5000 feet.  I am a non smoker, over 50
and I workout several times a week so I am in pretty good shape, but
with that said I find that using oxygen significantly improves my well
being and general cognitive performance.  I can't imagine how a
sedentary smoker of my age or older would be performing at altitude.

So, in conclusion, I really like the Mountain High Pulse demand
system, 22 cubic feet will last you a very long time, and lastly, from
what I know now, if your poking around at 10,000 feet or more, you
probably should be using oxygen.

What don't I like about the system ?.  It cost a lot !

Paul