Re: Europa-List: This gaping hole (nose gear)

Subject: Re: Europa-List: This gaping hole (nose gear)
From: ALAN YERLY <budyerly@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 16:27:59
Frans,
I didn't see anyone post an answer so take it from a guy who has built
and flown a half dozen Tri=gears.

The hole gives you 100 square inches of air exit, greatly improving
cooling.  Maintenance is a snap on the nose.  Go to Aircraft Spruce and
use the fire wall material kit to completely fireproof the opening.  I
use the firewall material and seal all the edges with stainless just to
dress it up.

As far as the speed penalty, if I can still get 140 kts with a 914 at
75% power at sea level with a tri-gear.  I don't see a down side.  I've
flown other tri-gears with the standard firewall and they all have
cooling issues and do not go any faster.

As for me...Leave the hole and run cooler.

Bud Yerly
Custom Flight Creations
US Europa Dealer
www.customflightcreations.com<http://www.customflightcreations.com/>