Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Fw: Fire extinguishers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Europa-List: Fw: Fire extinguishers
From: Raimo Toivio <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 21:53:45

Hi Frans

"If it is for on the ground, CO2 would be fine."

Thats true. But if it is fixed inside the plane, Halon is your only sensible
choice.

"I don't think so. Your main objective is getting down, as fast as
possible. Fruitless attempts to extinguish the fire and partly choking
yourself is not compatible with preparing an emergency landing."

You are wrong. Have you ever been on fire? Can you even think about those pains
and horror? You would be happy if you had a possibility to kill those flames (by
Halon only).
I think that would be your first action, landing the second.

> About 20 years ago one
> 2-engine Pipers cocpit flamed because choke (uncorrect word) fuel line
> got broken and pilot caught fire. He has not (Halon) extinguisher
> and elected to jump out as a living torch.

"Suppose he had Halon, and then? You can maybe extinguish this fire, but
after that the pilot is still soaked with fuel. There was something that
ignited this fuel, and this something is still there. The fuel is also
still there. After the Halon is gone, the situation is likely to repeat
again, but this time without the Halon."

That accident happened 18.8.1982 above EFJO. It was Piper Navajo PA-31-310
OH-PNP
and it was carrying newspapers. Sudden fuelfire in the cockpit. That was because
broken
fueltube and a spark from some switch. That "something" was maybe once!!!
Pilot has not any extinguisher and elected to jump away (w/o parachut).
Where is some electricitet - there is always a spark possibility in every
mechanical
switch
w or w/o diodes, relays and condensators. Think about old Cessnas & Pipers and
their switches
and connections! Maybe our extremely hi-tech experimentals are a bit
sophisticated
but still...

"Probably before that time you will get a spark from your trim
motor, flaps, or various other little electrical critters on board."

I think I cannot get a spark from trimmotor to the cockpit to flame fuel.

Anyway - I will carry my little half kilo nontoxic Halon-bottle onboard at least
for peace of mind.
Man never know.

Regards, Raimo