Europa-List: Manifold Pressure Gauge

Subject: Europa-List: Manifold Pressure Gauge
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 22:00:37

I am just filling in the LAA form to change our propeller (from a fixed
pitch to a CS version - Woodcomp/ Smart Avionics controller). The engine is
a Rotax 912 UL 80hp.

The LAA form says that the installation of a manifold pressure gauge is
mandatory. Anyone know why?

 Its probably a dumb question but I dont understand the point of monitoring
manifold pressure on a normal engine. I always thought it was more relevant
to turbocharged engines.

Also where does one take the pressure takeoff on the engine - I would guess
the balancing pipe between the carburettors - is there a mod required on the
engine?

Thanks for the explanation in advance.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS