Europa-List: Mono vs. Tri-gear

Subject: Europa-List: Mono vs. Tri-gear
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:13:51
 OOPS.  I hit the send key instead of spell check.

Jeff, wrote,
"I took a ride with John Hurst, who only had a mono to demonstrate.  Aft
er watching an

experienced pilot, like John, handle the mono on concrete, I quickly

made the decision to go Tri-gear.  I've never regretted that decision."

Jeff, I am happy for you that you chose the join the Europa community wi
th Baby Blue.  The Europa is a great plane; mono or Tri-gear.  I only wi
sh that the mono wasn't disparaged in the process of making a case for t
he Tri-gear.  As a mono pilot who has only flow his plane off of hard su
rfaces (asphalt or concrete) for the last 500 hours I do realize that di
fferent skills are necessary to handle the mono.  I also recognize the f
act that these skill can be learned with the aid of competent flight ins
truction.  I had zero tailwheel time when I transitioned into the Europa
.  With a couple of hours (literally two hours) of training by Bob Linds
ay, my flight instructor transitioned into the Europa. Of course has man
y hundred of hours of tailwheel time  and did not find the Europa diffic
ult to handle.  He did note that it was different than other tailwheel a
ircraft that he had flown. My flight instructor then set out to transiti
on train my in my Europa.  With the requisite 10 hours of dual complete
I received my tailwheel endorsement and haven't looked back.

The mono is a great plane.  I do have to use my feet from the moment I s
tart the plane until the moment I shut it down.  I have happy dancing fe
et.  This is not a bad thing, it is just what is required.  Like any tai
lwheel aircraft you have to keep the thing going straight.  Sloppy groun
d handling is not tolerated.  I find the mono a joy to fly, all aspects
of it.

In closing, I am happy for any one to join the Europa family with either
 a mono or a Tri-gear.  Please do not disparage the mono to make a case
for the Tri-gear.  Remember there are a lot of mono pilots out their tha
t love their Europa as-is and have no intention of changing the configur
ation of their bird.

Kind regards,
Erich Trombley
N28ET Classic Mono 914
Click here to find the satellite television package that meets your need
s.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/Ioyw6iifPTvIzkd8NTUhdE0UlCwX
Z0s3SpWnvr3uV2flHbOsTC4Otx/