Re: Europa-List: Pneumatic Installation

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Pneumatic Installation
From: Michael Grass <m.grass@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 13:33:35

Ferg,

Last year I had the pleasure of getting a ride from John Wigney in his Mono
N262WF. He has the neatest set up of an AOA installation from
http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Products/AOA/aoa.html
The neat thing what sets him apart from any other installations is that he,
unlike others, did not mount the display in the instrument panel face beside
other instruments. Quizzing him he had a very valid point. He says he does
not want to be distracted  by looking away onto the instrument panel while
in the critical phase of landing. He mounted the display on top of the
instrument module instead. Then he arranged a 1/2 inch wide mirror mounted
on a spring loaded arm just in the filed of view. Part of his landing
procedure is that he unlatches this spring loaded arm. It pops up 45 deg
into the field of view almost like a HUD but only obstruct minimal to none
the forward view. Another point for this device versus the Europa stall
warner is that this is an analog device showing you always how much lift
reserve you have before the wing will stall. The Europa Stall warner is
warning at a specific point. For my aircraft,  I like this device but still
will go with the Europa stall warner because I have it already and the price
tag of about $900 is to steep for my opinion but I love his set up.

Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of that installation. Maybe John
could post a couple if he sees this post after his return from Oshkosh.

Thanks again John for giving me a ride at Jim Butchers home field last year
before Oshkosh.

Michael Grass
N581MG Europa Trigear, Detroit
Still gluing and pasting