Re: Europa-List: Coolant overheating

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Coolant overheating
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 09:05:37
Hi Karl,

I havent been following this thread so I may have missed something.

Firstly is it a new installation - ie: has the aircraft flown before and
everything was normal (temperature wise). Is it a Mono or a trigear (ie:
does it sit on its tail or is it level)

My guess is you definitely have an airlock somewhere. Have you removed
the air pocket from the port radiator return hose (to the water pump)?
To do this you need to ease the hose off the radiator connection and
release all the trapped air in the hose. It can be done by jamming a
large screwdriver in the top of the hose where it connects the rad -
loosen the jubilee clip first and slide it out of the way. Presumably
none of the hoses are kinked or crushed (by the engine frame)

If you have a big airlock the cooling system may be working but only
intermittently - the angle of climb/ descent of the aircraft may affect
this. Unless the airlock is cleared the coolant flow will always be
restricted, but be adequate in the cruise when the engine is running
cooler.

The only other possibility (unlikely) is a blockage or a problem with
the water pump.

If you remove the radiator cap (when the engine is cold) it should be
possible to see the coolant pumping round while the engine is idling but
this wont tell you if there is sufficient flow (just that there isnt a
major blockage). MAKE SURE YOU TAKE THE NECESSARY SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
REGARDING THE MOVING PROPELLER - I know its stating the obvious but I
dont want your death on my hands.

It might be worth draining and refilling the cooling system and
backflushing everything with a high pressure hose.

Just my ten cents worth.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS.