RE: Europa-List: Tri gear front bulkhead

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tri gear front bulkhead
From: Peter Jeffers <pjeffers@talktalk.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 08:51:59

Hi all,

So there you have it.  If you want to fix a bulkhead in place then there is
no reason not to do so if you wish (Europa drawings were raised to construct
it from ply and have not been withdrawn yet). It is not practical to install
it if you are Mono, due retracting gear.
The metal fire proof bulkhead (or Singleton Resin bulkhead) is intended to
be fire, fume and smoke resistant so the need for another bulkhead may just
be gilding the lily and adding weight. Your choice at the end of the day.
In 1300 hours of flying Europas without this bulkhead, both mono & Tri, I
have never experienced fumes in the cockpit with the sole exception of when
carrying out stall testing. Perhaps a good stall warning!!!  I doubt the
extra bulkhead would have stopped this smell as I suspect it enters via a
different route anyway.

Pete Jeffers