RE: Europa-List: Lightning bonding

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Lightning bonding
From: Pete Lawless <pete@lawless.info>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 18:27:01
The problem is that the Europa is made of Tupperware so there is no
metal
skin for the electricity to flow through, hence it is possible for it to
flow though the aileron push rods or the elevator push rod and possibly
vapourise them in the process.  Some glass aeroplanes have a metal or
carbon
mesh built into the structure to conduct the lightning around the
outside.
There was a glider over Dunstable a couple of years ago that had a wing
literally blown apart by the effect of a lightning strike.

Regards

Pete