Re: Europa-List: Drilled brake Rotors (disks)

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Drilled brake Rotors (disks)
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 16:17:31

Hi Craig

"Does anyone know the legalities is drilled brake rotors"

Can't tell you the legalities, but can tell you that there are an
incredible number of holes needed to reduce weight, all of which need to
be deburred on both sides.

I built a custom motorcycle where I shoehorned a YTZ 250 motor into a YZ
80 frame (under 200 pounds with 65HP). I installed the disk brakes from
the 450 pound beast but the rear rotor was not drilled. It happened to be
same diameter as the front so I clamped together and transfer punched
drill marks. Hours and hours and hours drilled on that rotor, then figured
out there are 2 sides that need deburring! Looks pretty, I forget the
exact weight savings but it was not as much as I would have liked for the
amount of work invested.

Supposedly helps with cooling. Good chance after you completed task, you
would have hit on the perfect harmonics where each flight would yield a
slight different "whistle"!

Fooling aside, worth it to make a drill template so others can do the deed
to their rotor. Very kool (cool) the  increasing distance between drill
marks swirl instead of in line registration as diameter increases.

Ron Parigoris