RE: Europa-List: Tailplane torque tube troubles

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Tailplane torque tube troubles
From: Robert Hatton <roberthatton@supanet.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 19:57:21
I am reading these torque tube troubles with a vested interest. I have a
torque tube with some surface rust and my immediate view would be to replace
the torque tube but for the fact of the job that it would entail.

On a previous thread (a year or more ago) I read about the "earlier" torque
tubes for the pre-XS Europas were not a standard dimension. Therefore the
current torque tubes as supplied by the factory for the XS models will not
be an exact fit for what I would like to replace. I believe I will have to
work on the elevators as well as having the difficulty of extracting the
torque tube itself.

Has anyone experienced removing a torque tube in order to replace it and can
offer some advice?

At the moment my LAA inspector is reviewing what we have once I have cleaned
up the torque tube after rubbing down wet with WD-40 with 800 grade
sandpaper. If the tube looks too far gone after this exercise then I will
not have any choice but to replace.

Robert Hatton