Europa-List: Re: Dipole in the sternpost

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Dipole in the sternpost
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 07:03:42
In a message dated 5/3/2008 3:01:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
europa-list@matronics.com writes:

Have  others had difficulity with the dipole in the rudder causing  problems?

Hi Jim,

FWIW, I installed an AAE (available from ACS) dipole COM on the  rear my
sternpost, forward of the rudder. I installed an AAE transponder  antenna, also
dipole, on the right side of the fuselage (inside), about  12 inches in front
of the rear bulkhead. Both antennae work beautifully and the  only thing I
notice is the card compass swings slightly when I key the  transmitter. I don't

see this effect when the transponder keys. I swept both  these antennas
individually and with their respective feed lines and the SWR  characteristics
are
flat across their respective bands.

Do keep your coax separate from everything else. I ran my coax for the COM
and transponder down one side of the fuselage and the rest of the  wires down
the other side. Avoid placing any other wires near the coax  termination's as
best you can, as RF leaks sometimes occur at the  connectors and can cause
problems. Use good quality coax and connectors,  IOW, not Radio Shack crap. Amp

makes excellent BNC connectors and they are  available from Allied, Digikey and

many other suppliers. I prefer solder on  center pins if you can find them,
with crimp on barrels. The clamp on screw  type BNC connectors are garbage. Be

sure the shield makes good contact with  the barrel of the BNC. Spruce has very

good RG58 coax that is aircraft rated. I  did have to spring for a precision
cable for my Garmin transponder to  meet Garmin's 1dB cable insertion loss
requirements, though. It wasn't  cheap, but the performance I'm seeing was worth

every penny.

I'd be happy to bring my sweep test gear and SWR meter to Rough River if
anybody needs something looked at. I have the capacity to sweep anything from 30

Mhz to 3.3 Ghz. I also have a Bird precision watt meter for checking power
output at COM and transponder frequencies.

Hope it helps!

Regards,

John  Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)