Europa-List: Rubber components

Subject: Europa-List: Rubber components
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 22:49:38

Following my thread about replacing rubber components (Rotax 5 year
mandatory requirement) I have managed to find a supplier of Bing carb spares
(including the rubber diaphragm).

It seems that some BMW bikes use Bing carbs but unfortunately suppliers only
use BMW part numbers which gives no clues as to the correct size.
Fortunately the helpful man at one supplier went to the store and measured
the parts for me. The correct one for the Bing 64-3 is the 32mm (not sure
what that dimension relates to) The actual disphragm is 40mm inside diameter
and 80mm outside dia.

The official Rotax price is 45 or 27 from Aerosport Ltd.

BMW stockist price is 12.50 for a genuine Bing replacement ot 6.25 for a
generic replacement.

http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfinal.php?function=show&subs=084&title=DIAPHRAGMS+%26+GASKETS

Unfortunately I havent had as much luck with the carb flanges yet, though
this one looks promising - I have dropped them a line to see if they will
mail to the UK. Has anyone had any dealings with them?

http://www.jackofmosttrades.com/Rotax_Parts/Carb_sockets_912/carb_sockets_912.html

Still expensive at $58 but might be an option for those in the USA.

The other option is the Mikuni adapter but again I am having difficulty
identifying the correct size - and again no one in the UK seems to stock
them.

They are available here and I have written to the supplier for precise
dimensions. The Rotax flange on my 912 is 74mm between centres and the carb
diameter 43mm.

http://www.hiperf.com/acatalog/Snowmobile_Catalog_Mikuni_Carbs_and_Parts_83.html

The price they quote is $25

It was interesting to note that when I removed one of my carb flanges
(allegedly genuine Rotax spares) it was marked ALS - Japan. This would
suggest that Rotax get these from a generic source and there is nothing
special or unique about them (EXCEPT THE PRICE !!!).

Maybe someone knows different.

Carl Pattinson
G-LABS