Re: Europa-List: Hardware Question on Aileron quick-connect system?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Hardware Question on Aileron quick-connect system?
From: Keith Hickling <keithhickling@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 15:30:49

Hello Jeffrey,

1) The current manual recommends not floxing the AN4-20A bolt in at this
stage, as you will probably need to re-align it later at the final setup
stage.

2) My spar (from an XS) is 28 mm thick, and the bellcrank bearing is 18 mm,
so you have 46 mm total - with the 5 mm counterbore that comes down to 41mm.
The length of AN4-20A bolt is 42 mm from under the head to the beginning of
the thread (at least the one I have) , so I would have thought you should
have room for the 3 washers. It worked OK for me. Are you sure it's an
AN4-20 you've got? Is your spar thicker than 28 mm?

3) These bolts need to be cut off just beyond the nut anyway (later) to
leave only 2 threads showing beyond the nut to provide adequate clearance.
So you would be better with an undrilled bolt in case you end up trimming it
through the hole. But if you don't flox it in now, you can easily change it
later if there is a problem. You will be removing the bellcrank several
times during assembly anyway.

Hope some of that may help.

Regards,
Keith Hickling,