Europa-List: Hardware Question on Aileron quick-connect system?

Subject: Europa-List: Hardware Question on Aileron quick-connect system?
From: Jeffrey J Paris <jeffreyjparis@excite.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 20:11:26

Dear Listers of Europa,

As you may or may not know I bought  Classic Monowheel Kit #A012 from a prior
builder
who did not get very far, we have 563 hours into the build and are loving
every minute of the challenge.

 Currently, we are working on mounting W16(S)  quick connect bellcrank to the
starboard
wing.  Per instructions, we drilled the .25"d hole.  We then countersunk
with a .75" spade cutter on the front face of the spar to a 5mm depth.

No here are where things go weird, the directions verbatim:

"Slide an AN4-20A bolt, with a EUR001 washer on it, through the hole in the
starboard
spar from the front so that the head of the bolt enters the counter bore.
Place 2 EU001 washers, the W16S (S) bellcrank, another EUR001 washer and finally
screw on the MS210042-4 Nut.  Finally fill the hole with flox."

OK seems easy enough, except the AN bolt is too short to meet the practices
standard
of having 2-5 thread lengths showing above the nut.  By my measurements
I'm about  5mm too short.  In addition, the  AN4-20A bolt I was supplied with
is actually a AN4-20 bolt with a cotter pin hole. Also, by putting a washer on
the head of the bolt first off it also makes the head of the bolt stick up out
of our 5mm counter bore, do you even need that one since it's going to  be
floxed
into place anyway?

  Well it got us thinking are we interpreting the instructions wrong, or maybe
we are following thing correctly and maybe there is an error in the manual.
Moreover,
in the exploded views for these mechanisms there are no particular call
outs of the parts to double check.

I guess our main problem we buying an orphaned kit is the fact that our prior
builder
tended to further "kit" and reassemble parts for future assembly ( plus
a fair amount of jumping around), so as you can guess we spend a fair amount
of time re-organizing and double checking our work  in an attempt to keep  our
project on track: Especially in keeping up with the MODS.

If anybody has a quick answer please let me know.  Thank you for your time,
consideration
and expertise.

Sincerely,

Jeff and Peter Paris Kit # A012 Monowheel classic

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com