Re: Europa-List: Re: High temperature fiberglass

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: High temperature fiberglass
From: Paul McAllister <paul.the.aviator@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 17:07:05
Hi all,

Well I got an overwhelming response to my question about high
temperature resins and cloth, so perhaps I need to come clean as to
what I am thinking about.

As some of you know I purchased a second 914 minus its exhaust and
turbo charger and as a winter time project I have been rebuilding it
with the thought to fuel inject it.

Well I am at the point where I am about to assemble the engine and I
am thinking about how I was going to make an inlet manifold from the
throttle body.  My initial thought was to fabricate one out of
aluminum like the one in the attached photograph.I then got to
thinking that perhaps I can make something that has a nicer airflow
out of blue foam and fiberglass.

As far as the project goes,  it is very much a spare time project with
no particular time line. It is truly experimentation and my never
actually get fitted to my aircraft.

So, essentially I am looking for a recommendation of an epoxy resin
that will be okay with the temperatures seen under the cowl.

Cheers,  Paul