Re: Europa-List: Door Latches

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Door Latches
From: Peter Timm <cptimm@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:01:02

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Klein" <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:39 PM
Subject: Europa-List: Door Latches

> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks for the helpful comments on my previous post re: Rudder Cables!
>
> Regarding door latches...the build manual speaks of bending an offset into
> the inner latch arm, DL03 but makes no mention of the distance of the
> offset...What works?  1/8 inch?  1/4 inch?
>
> Also, is there a clever locksmith among us who has added a keyed lock
> which keeps the shoot bolts in place?..or provides security in some other
> fashion?  Any references to pictures would be much appreciated.
>
> Some time ago, there was concern about the window frames bulging and as I
> recall, Cliff Shaw had a very clever albeit complex third (vertical I
> believe) shoot bolt. Might not "bulging" be more easily handled by adding
> a bid stiffening angle along the interior bottom edge of the window frame?
> (Or is the bulging the result of failure to relieve cabin air pressure by
> not venting the baggage bay bulkhead thence out thru the recommended drain
> holes at the underside of the fuselage?)
>
> Fred
> A194
>

> --
> believed to be clean.
>

> Hi Fred

   the off-set of the door handle arm depends largely on your intentions re.
  securing the door-latch in flight. I chose to have knobs at the end of the
arm
 which are secured with small rubber bungees attached to the side-wall of
the cockpit below the closed door handle and looped over the knobs. This
would
require no off-set at all. I had already built a 1/4 " off-set in at the
time.
As to the bulging doors at high speed, I now believe that this is caused by
pressurising the inside of the fuselage mostly by high pressure air entering
through
the opening left under the trailing edge with the flaps in the retracted
position.
I am going to attach small , inward curved fiberglass tabs to the root ends
of
the underside of the flaps to press against the openings in flight. I have
an arrangement of 2" holes through the D-section in the baggage bay, but
this has actually made matters worse, since it is the rear of the fuselage
that gets pressurised.I will report on the results of this mod in due
course. Right now
Pemberton Airport is still closed under 18" of the white stuff.
Our Annual Fly-In is set for July 5. Hope to see you then.

Cheers, Peterss