RE: Europa-List: RUDDER CABLES

Subject: RE: Europa-List: RUDDER CABLES
From: Karl Heindl <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 19:43:00

Hi Jos,

I understand. That snowmobile incident must have been interesting. I forgot
 about the mono. I don't have that open belly, full of mud and grass (and s
now?). But the tubing could be taken right up to the firewall. Mine is over
sized, not for any clever reason, it just seemd a good idea.
Inspection is easy: I just look at it through the transparent tubing.
Happy winter flying

Karl

sok-e@ukolo.fi> Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 20:15:22 +0200> To: europa-list@matr
 > Hi Carl,> > Water comes from rain, splashes around in the wheel well, an
d freezes at about 0 C. Here in Finland at least. Temperature drops here, a
s everywhere else in standard air with 2 C per 1000 ft. Not so very difficu
lt to reach freezing temperatures, even on a nice warm summer day. Water wi
ll collect over time, in any lower spot. You don't need much of it, to lock
 up completely when turned into ice. I once had a frozen throttle cable on
a snowmobile at close to full throttle ,and that cable was pretty good, but
 not good enough protected against water ingress. It was a pretty hairy, an
d very impressive demonstration of what a droplet of iced water can do. Acc
ording to Murphy, if it will happen, it will happen in a situation where it
 can do most damage. Oh, i do have shrouds at the in- out fuselage transiti
on at the rear near the rudder. But that piece is sloping down from the dry
 inside. > Everybody of course can do what he likes when diverting from fac
tory ideas. Shrouding of course is a much easier way of guiding the cables.
 If you do, take care to avoid a low spot!> Btw, how do you inspect your sh
rouded rudder cables or is it a case of what you don't see does not matter
:-) ? > > Regards,> > Jos Okhuijsen> > > > > > > Visit - www.EuropaOwners.o