Re: Europa-List: 914 alternator/regulator

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 alternator/regulator
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 22:40:37

kevin siggery a crit :

> Before start, master on, we see I=0 amps, V=11.

Not good : a properly charged battery reads 12.7-12.8 V.
11 V means a bad, bad battery state. A lead acid battery should not stay
discharged for any length of time.

> Engine off, loaded I=-5, V=11.

Strange, voltage should sag a little.

> Engine running (essentials on) I=-4, V=11
>
> Engine running (full electrical load) I=-5, V=11
>
> Besides the fact we should be seeing 12V from the battery (we are
> charging it now) to my non-expert eye this would suggest alternator
> problems but strangely, the idiot light is not illuminated which
> suggests that V (alternator) is greater than V(battery) i.e.: we do
> not have an alternator problem (unless the lamp has blown and we are
> being misguided).

A correctly charging alternator/regulator should read 13.8-14.4 V

> Alternatively if the regulator is shot one would expect to see V
> falling as a function of load (I think) but this is not the case...

What I'do first is check the actual voltages with a portable voltmeter.
Does your onboard really monitor what it is supposed to ?

Best regards,
--
Gilles
http://contrails.free.fr