Europa-List: 914 alternator/regulator

Subject: Europa-List: 914 alternator/regulator
From: kevin siggery <ksiggery@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:08:54

Before we start the nightmare process of replacing the alternator on
914-powered G-ROOV could anyone point us towards possible other
problems with the electrical system recently identified:

Before start, master on, we see I=0 amps, V=11.

Engine off, loaded I=-5, V=11.

Engine running (essentials on) I=-4, V=11

Engine running (full electrical load) I=-5, V=11

Besides the fact we should be seeing 12V from the battery (we are
charging it now) to my non-expert eye this would suggest alternator
problems but strangely, the idiot light is not illuminated which
suggests that V (alternator) is greater than V(battery) i.e.: we do
not have an alternator problem (unless the lamp has blown and we are
being misguided).

Alternatively if the regulator is shot one would expect to see V
falling as a function of load (I think) but this is not the
case...although we believe the Ducati regulator is not exactly the
best on the market and prone to quite frequent failure.

We are leaning towards simply swapping out the regulator at this stage.

Any thoughts most welcome.

thank you

Kevin Siggery