Europa-List: Zaon MRX and Mode "S"

Subject: Europa-List: Zaon MRX and Mode "S"
From: Brian and Pat Tarmar <freefolk@screaming.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 09:12:02
Hi David

Sorry for the delay in responding to your request, but I only take the
daily Matronics digest and seldom monitor the EuropaOwners site.  Yes to
your first question, you do have to look all around (even where you
can't!).  You get particularly worried on final approach when traffic
continues to close the gap behind you and the MRX is counting down the
distance!

Pete Lawless answered your Mode "S" question pretty well, although our
American members might be able to comment on whether the TIS (Traffic
Information Service) and weather radar uplinks are in fact provided yet
by the FAA in most areas.

I think you are right to go for ADS-B compatible kit if you are intent
on buying a mode "S" transponder at this stage, as satellite based
surveillance system will clearly be implemented in Europe within a
decade, no matter what the neddies at CAA tell us.

Returning to the Zaon MRX, despite the limitations of unknown direction,
many aircraft without mode "C", and ranging which I believe may vary
somewhat with the different outputs of received transponders (not
confirmed), I believe it is a valuable assistant in our crowded skies.

Brian Tarmar
G-OBJT Classic Trigear 912S

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html