Europa-List: Panel cutting hint

Subject: Europa-List: Panel cutting hint
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 10:41:01

        Thanks to Peter Field et al for the Subject topic.
        Being in my eleventh year from delivery date, I'm past that phase,
but have the following hint to share:
        When in UK I bought a box full of 0.5mm drill bits, an inexpensive
hobby facet for which UK is abundant supplier. When carving composite
materials (such as canoe cut-outs and panel sites) I insert one bit in my
high-speed granddad of the Dremel series (35k RPM), draw an accurate
outline, and plunge the bit in to start. Angled slightly to permit line
tracing, I slowly follow the line around 'til the job is done. Carefully
done, the result is a 0.5+/-mm cut that should (but not necessarily) be done
before finishing. It leaves an almost imperceptible gap which is easily
finished. Did I lose any bits from overheating? - yes, but I just kept
spinning with the remnant 'til there wasn't some. At 6p or whatever it was
quick, accurate and fairly cheap.
        This little tidbit I bring to the Altar of Knowledge.
Ferg
Europa 914 mono CS prop
Wiring wiring wiring