Re: Europa-List: Secondary Fuel Pump, correct or not

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Secondary Fuel Pump, correct or not
From: josok <josoke@ukolo.fi>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 11:46:25

Ron,

Obvious mistake: I should have said liters per hour, not minutes.

The fuel flow test does not test the flow to the engine, it tests the total flow
out of the tank. While it is a good indication of the condition of filters and
pumps, it does not test the fuel pressure regulator. For fuel pressure over
air box i have the UMA sensor.
Based on a few years of reading of accident reports and forums, i think that
this
total flow check before take-off would have grabbed almost all of the fuel
starvation mishaps caused by clogged restrainers, filters and rotten fuel lines.
If there has been any mishap with the fuel pressure regulator, i have missed
it.
Leaking connections i have had, both a damaged o-ring on the gascolator, and a
poor flange on the alu pipe near the fuel selector. While these caused a hell
of a smell, and some fuel under the plane, the fuel test was still over 120
liters,
and over 135 liters with 2 pumps on.
Those numbers are based on my "clean" system, to have a repeatable test.
Different
systems will produce different throughput, and also the battery condition
is a factor.

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen

Visit -  www.EuropaOwners.org