Re: Europa-List: Re: RE Throttle Cables

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: RE Throttle Cables
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 22:36:40

Hi Jim

"So we purchased Bouden cables from ACS, PN 05-15500. To connect to the
carbs & throttle housing we used conduit adjusters from Lockwood PN BR03K.
Had to drill them out to fit the ACS cable but the system works very
nicely. Also lubed the Bouden cable assemblies with graphite lube.

> Eric Trombley had a post on the forum several years ago on how he did this."

Question:
When you reduce friction on the throttle with solid piano wire, will the
carb springs snap the throttle to full bore? (as per Europa Service
Bulletin #7)

I can see that solid wire can reduce the possability of kink (bulge) near
throttle, but "when" one solid cable breaks at the throttle termination,
is the spring going to be able to overcome friction of solid cable and
open to full bore?

Someone a while back mentioned he used Motorcycle clutch cable, and it
would allow a quite good push without kinking. My experiance with solid
wire cables (lawnmowers, snow blowers, go carts and mini bikes and manual
choke cables for automobiles), is terminations tend to eventually fail
without warning. On the other hand clutch cables have pretty much proven
to be very reliable.

Of course a 2 cable per carb push / pull would probably be a winner!

Ron Parigoris