Re: Europa-List: Gemini Diesel engine

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Gemini Diesel engine
From: Jan de Jong <jan.de.jong@xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 16:53:58

1.
Even though PPD nowhere refers to Rotax it is not necessarily a
coincidence that the width of the Gemini100 is to the millimeter
identical to that of the Rotax 912/914: 576 mm.
Compared to Rotax 912:
depth is 31 mm less (912 starter motor sticking out), height below
propellor axis is 18 mm less, height above propellor axis 12 mm more.
Compared to Rotax 914:
depth and height below/above propellor axis is less by several centimeters.
I wonder whether the engine attach point locations may just happen to be
identical to those of Rotax.
2.
Gemini125 (turbo) may be more fuel-efficient than Gemini100.
3.
Battery weights may halve before too long. There seems to be quite rapid
development of safe high current lithium-ion batteries.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A123Systems
There are competitors.

All in all I am hopeful.
Maybe the slowness of my build will acquire a good reason after all.

Cheers,
Jan de Jong