Re: Europa-List: Epoxy Question

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Epoxy Question
From: Rick Stockton <aireupora@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:35:43
Jeffrey, Here's the reply I got when I asked the same question you have from the
manufactor.

  Dear Mr. Stockton,

  Thank you for your inquiry regarding Aeropoxy PR2032 (Y1898) and PH3660
(Y1901).
These two products were made in July, 2001.  We put a one-year shelf life
on all epoxy products only because that is the standard for the industry.  That
is an arbitrary length of time to limit liability.  Actually epoxies are quite
stable and are good for many years in unopened containers.  If I were building
a car or boat with 6-year old material, I would not be concerned.  If I were
building an aircraft that I was going to fly, I probably would use fresh
material.
The only way to know for sure is to retest the material.  By the time
you paid freight and for our lab time, it would be less expensive to buy new
material.  Save the existing material for non-aircraft applications.

  Best Regards,

  Bill Romey
bromey@ptm-w.com
800 421-1518
www.ptm-w.com

Jeffrey J Paris <jeffrey-j-paris@excite.com> wrote:

Dear Europa Gurus',

I have a question for the builders list. I bought an "orphaned" Europa Clasic
kit
and the former builder didn't get too far with it. I am currently building
the wings and I am using fresh MGS epoxy because I was concerned that the Ampreg
Epoxy that came with the original kit in the early to mid nineties was past
its usable shelf life.

With that in mind and just for the hell of it: Out of curiosity I mixed up a 100
grams of an already opened Ampreg epoxy container and took some scrap fiberglass
and did a lay-up and low and behold the old epoxy cured rock hard and seems
ok.

My question is could I use this old epoxy that came with the original buyers
kit?

And if it can be used could it be used on structural parts? Or if it cannot be
used in a structural capacity could it be used on non-structural parts? (say
final
coating and fairing)

I'm really curious to say the least. In a nutshell it would be great to use and
save quite a bit of money as opposed to harden it all so it could be thrown away
into a land fill. I guess I could epoxy a garage floor or use it on an old
boat of furniture project?

I curious to see what you all have to say; thank you for your time and
consideration.

Regards,

Jeff Paris
Now Flying a Zenith Ch601XL Jab3300 185 total hours N196ZP

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com