RE: Europa-List: fuel selectors etc

Subject: RE: Europa-List: fuel selectors etc
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 12:22:56

Hi Nigel

"might be worth getting Andy Phillips (producer of Andair products) to
comment on any concerns. I know he operates an RV which no doubt uses
> one of his gascolators. I am sure he has researched his products well
> before designing and manufacture and would be the best person to answer
> questions."

For what it's worth, I did exactly that prior to using two Andair 375s on
914 install. I wanted to hear from the horses mouth that it would be an
acceptable practice to use a gasculator as both a water trap and fuel
filter.

The answer was an absolute affirmative (very nice guy and willing to
answer any and all questions about his product), there is no sense in
using supplied Europa Purolator filters prior to 375s. There is 1 caveat,
this is speaking of the newest product which uses a pleated element that
has a reasonable amount of surface area. The old style element you can
see if you go to home page when the invisible bowl happens to the upper
left pic. (does not thrill me as far as filter area goes).

Another note in general on using parts on airplanes, when you are not in a
rush, inspect all things being used like your life depends on it, like of
course it does. Use very good bright lights, and magnifiers and look at
things like you know there is something wrong and it is your mission in
life to find it, which it is as a homebuilder, user, maintainer.

I found such a problem with one of the elements of our 375s supplied by
Aircraft Spruce. When looking inside the element where the pleated filter
is glued together through the threaded intake, could see that some of the
adhesive did not quite make it to an area that would allow larger
particles than desired to get through, but more important there was some
debris hardly stuck to the glue bond (this is on the inside of filter), I
am certain it had potential to break loose and get swept downstream. Was
replaced free of charge. Replacement was fine, and I looked at a few
others of other homebuilders and they were fine, but like everything
check.

Off topic, but during inspection of Airmaster prop right after received, I
noticed that the about 3/8" of the tip of nickel lead edge was not bonded,
adhesive was missing. I was able to slip a piece of paper in there! After
talking to Airmaster, then to Warp Drive they said they never heard of
that, I sent a picture with up some very close ups and one had a thin
piece of paper actual in it. Warp Drive repaired, very nice job, but check
your stuff. You really could not see defect very easily at all in normal
light with naked eyes.

Andair makes very nice stuff!

BTW if you want to maintain the black painted witness marks on bowl of 375
gasculator, don't wipe bowl with isopropyl alcohol. It removes paint.

Ron Parigoris