Europa-List: Tailplane slots in fuselage

Subject: Europa-List: Tailplane slots in fuselage
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:21:50
Hi All,

Step 7 on build manual pg. 19-7 describes the required travel (4
degrees up, 12 degrees down) of the trailing edge of the tailplane from
a neutral position. My fuselage had a faint but discernible ridge line
which I interpreted to be a cut-out line for the slots for the tab
link-rod TS05 which I previously followed when cutting out the slots.
As I now have the tailplanes mounted and am measuring to ensure they
can achieve the required travel, I'm finding that my slots are grossly
oversized, and most probably will be quite inviting for small birds and
varmints. Have any of you faced the same situation?

Now that I have marked the location of the tab link-rod in the extreme
up and down positions, and after taking into account the fore and aft
movement of the tab link-rod and adding 1/8" clearances, my intention
is to do some bid patching so that the slot is no larger than required.

I'm unclear as to the meaning of the last sentence on pg. 19-7 where it
states,

        "...as the trailing edge of the tailplane is raised the trailing edge
of the tab raises even further, the ratio being approximately 1.3 to 1.
Therefore, when you have raised the trailing edge of the tailplane by
12 degrees, the tab should have raised 15.6 degrees relative to the
tailplane or 27.6 degrees from the zero start position.
A maximum total movement of 18 degrees and a minimum of 14.4 degrees
relative to the tailplane is acceptable."

Does the last sentence intend: A maximum total movement of the trim tab
of 18 degrees and a minimum of 14.4 degrees relative to the tailplane
is acceptable."

Or am I really missing the point?

Fred
--