Re: Europa-List: Aileron hinges and sagging

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Aileron hinges and sagging
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 20:03:13

Craig,
In the late 1990's, along time ago now, I visited Kim Prout in LA to see his
project while building mine #294.
His father was present that day helping him. He used to work for McDonnell
Corporation as , I think, an aerodynamics and he recommended having a 3rd
hinge on the ailerons placed closer to the inner mass balance from the mid
point. I have done this without any problems and certainly strengthens the
aileron.
Europa brought out a MOD to incorporate an extended tail wheel for better
control. On installing this he also recommended strengthening the hinge
attachments to the rudder by doubling the length of each hinge. Another good
idea due to the added forces on the rudder with the steering tailwheel.
All the best with the build,
Cheers,
Tim

Tim Ward