Europa-List: Jabiropa performance

Subject: Europa-List: Jabiropa performance
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:59:07
In a message dated 9/25/2007 2:58:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
europa-list@matronics.com writes:

thanks a lot for that. There are three or four Jabiropas here. One  I
know of is very happy but the others less so. My main question is do you
have any baffles to force the cooling air throught the fins, or do you
rely on the pressure in the plenums? My friends are using deflectors
rather than baffles which I feel is a bit imprecise. I am more familiar
with the sort of baffles EZ guys use on Lyconental engines where careful
baffling works well.
The Jabiru agents here in UK do not seem to have  much in the way of good
ideas.

Hello Graham,

My 3300 is one of the newer ones with the larger head cooling  fins, but just
before they switched to hydraulic lifters.(S/N 33A756 or #756)  The engine
came with fiberglass ducts of unknown origin, IOW, not Jabiru  factory ducts,
that fit over the top of the cylinders. I'm pretty sure Andy  had the same guy

who made the cowls make the ducts, but I've not verified that  to be fact. Two,

round 4" aluminum intake rings are captured by the cowl  (similar to a
Lancair) and serve to direct air into the ducts. I used 3mm  rubber sheet to
make
transition from the ring to the duct. This rubber  helps damp vibration
between the cowl and the engine and allows the two to  move independently of
each

other. The two 4" rings  together give me 25 square inches of intake and that
should be more than  enough for adequate cooling and it is has shown to be
adequate on all but  the hottest days. I only really see one cylinder that gets
bit hot in  climb above 95F ambient temperature and it's still 30F below
redline. I do have  internal baffling to direct air over the center cylinders,
but
it is very  subtle, maybe 3 mm tall on the inside top of the duct, parallel to

the  cylinder. Small changes in the height of these baffles make huge
differences in  CHT's. The height of the baffle is determined by trial and
error.
I'd
start  at about 5-7mm and whittle it down from there until a balance is
achieved.  You could make an internal baffle with successive layers of duct tape
determine the height, then replace it with either flox or a flat fiberglass
piece cut to the shape of the inside of the baffle, then flox  that into
place. Initially, I was told to start with 1 cm high baffles, but  it only took
one
short flight to realize that was way too much for my  installation.

I've been doing some manometer testing on the pressure differential  between
the inside of the cowl and the inside of the duct and it has  left me thinking

that my left duct just isn't the right shape. Using Jabiru's  manometer
testing method, my results have been  completely contradictory to what Jabiru
says

it takes for adequate  cooling. So, I'm testing a new left side Sonex styled
sheet metal duct  today. I'll let everybody know if it works. If it does work,

I'm going to do  some manometer testing on it and get some hard numbers to
play with in terms of  what it really takes to make the left side run cool. Film

at  11:00PM......

Regards,

John Lawton
Whitwell, TN (TN89)