Re: Europa-List: Re: Drag reduction

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Drag reduction
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 16:54:59

John,

> you could install a Jab and do away with the radiator, gills and the
> stock, stubby Europa cowl altogether.

Of course an aircooled engine doesn't need a coolant radiator, but the
cooling needs are about the same !
Due to aerodynamic and thermodynamic considerations, an air-cooled
engine will always drag a little more than its liquid-cooled
counterpart. That is provided the cooling installation is equallly well
designed in both cases.
Concerning the Europa cowl, I agree with you it seems in need of some
aerodynamical improvements ;-)

> The 1800+ fpm climb rate I'm regularly seeing with my Jab is nothing
> to sneeze at, nor is the $10,000 lower price over the 912S.

Would you care to share any precise speed measurements (3 GPS runs, max
take off weight, record of altitude, OAT, etc.) ?
My Jabiru buddies are getting soooo discreet when it comes to actual
performance ;-(

Best regards,
--
Gilles