Europa-List: Trailer tips -ATTN Paul McAll

Subject: Europa-List: Trailer tips -ATTN Paul McAll
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 09:47:22

Paul,
        I have trailered my plane and bits several times account bedroom
squeeze at home and have had some damage.
[1]     The rubber slings mar the wing badly. Produce some heavy polythene
plastic (6mil) pieces 8"x80" and folded lengthwise to cover the slings and
prevent old rubber marking the wings;
[2]     Cover the pip-pins locking the slings in place (at the bottom) with
heavy foam to prevent the road bumps from banging the leading edge into the
pins - very work-making repair;
[2A]    Duck tape soft foam bundles to the inside top edge of the sling
frames to prevent damage to the fuselage sides, as I haven't been able to
stop SOME motion of the fuselage nearby;
[3]     Initially inspect the slings for deterioration (mine were ten years
old) and cracking, because if they let go the wing drops onto the pin. (The
permanent fix is to redrill the pin holes to one side - out of the way);
[4]     Use long bungee cords to hold the wings down into the slings - this
will prevent excess bobbing on the bumps;
[5]     I have not found any cover for the trailer which won't flap somehow
and damage a delicate finish - choose a good day, and stay off the stones,
sand;
[6]     Use inner tubes elastics or short bungees over the bolt ends to
clamp the outriggers vertical and fabricate two (or four) vee-shaped sheets
to slip over the aileron ends to prevent motion;
[7]     Depending on speed, fabricate a 3- or 4-layer fibreglass loop shaped
to prevent the rudder from flapping (it's out front). This also stops the
tailwheel from shimmying in the lock and the fuselage from side-to-side
wander;
[8]     If you must trailer in poor conditions, make some soft funnels to
cover the wing trailing edge root corners to prevent inevitable cover holes
---From flapping. Same for tip trailing edges.
[9]     Use some form of pulley to double the draw of the tailwheel tightly
enough to lock the mainwheel up easily. Mine requires some compression of
the main tire to seat that tail properly.
[10]    If it's first time, you will want to ensure the mainwheel 'bucket'
folds up outside and against the gearswing arm as tight clearances there
assure vertical state of the fuselage. It marks but who cares?

My personal experience is that 40 bungees is not too many a number to stop
flapping.
There's always an excuse for one more...........

Hope that helps
Ferg
PS: I modified the spar boxes on the trailer so that they clamp securely to
the spare on both sides - one is built to accommodate the spar 'tunnel' in
the heavyweight mod.
Don't use the stab pipes - I'm still trying to rescue a plastic pipe end
---From inside a stab. Hope you saved the foam forms the stabs came in - ideal
holders.