RE: Europa-List: Dive to Vne

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Dive to Vne
From: craig bastin <craigb@onthenet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 23:23:58

Thanks for the reply, as far as my post goes, I have no problems with flying
at VNE, When i did my licence it was mostly in a Piper Tomahawk, most tomies
are slow and predictable except for the stall, (I flew a few different ones)
but the main one had a different prop and would run through VNE in cruise
flight if you didnt watch it, which IMHO was a good thing as it meant you
had to slow down to VA if things got bumpy, so it taught you be concious of
your airspeed at all times, not just takeoff landing etc. My main reason
for suggesting the modeling was to maybe see if the VNE could be increased
at reduced MTOW. Sort of working backwards from the ultimate load of 8.55g
suggested by europa at the standard MTOW of 1300 or 1370 a reduction of
about
40 lbs would seem to suggest a new ultimate load of 9.0 g which is what is
required for a full aerobatic rating in australia of 6.0g (+50% safety
margin) which would intern mean an increase in VNE provided no flutter
issues
are a problem, which is where the computer modeling comes in. As far as the
signoff goes, dont get me wrong I am enjoying the build, seeing it grow, and
getting satisfaction from each bit i finish, but all my spare cash goes into
the plane so flying for the moment is not happening, thats why i wish it was
built, especially when we get a day thats almost calm with unlimited vis
and temps in the 20's it makes me want to be up there.