RE: Europa-List: Re: Dive to Vne

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: Dive to Vne
From: tony.bale@virgin.net <tony.bale@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:40:28

All the correspondence on "dive to vne" has been quite interesting. But
having done the last two annual flight tests on our XS mono including the
vne test, the term dive suggests (to me anyway) everything firewalled and
point the nose at terra firma.

In reality it is nothing like that, I accept most - including our aircraft,
have over reading ASI's (can't remember what the flight test results were)
but with 5400 rpm and probably 25"/26" map the actual nose down attitude is
not very steep at all. It goes without saying this is commenced at high
level on a smooth day, acceleration is strictly limited, the controls are
only moved very smoothly and only to restriced amounts (never need much
deflection anyway !). As an indicator of the scale of the test, our
straight and level speed at full throttle and 5400 rpm is the thick end of
150 knots. (and I bet the turbo boys can see mid to high 150's if they try).

As a point of comparison, with Airmaster cruise setting, and 25" map,
straight and level at circa 2000 ft we indicate 128 Kts +/- (just below the
yellow). Having flown in formation with an Arrow and RV9, our ASI's at this
cruise all read within one or two knots of each other.

My two penny worth anyway.

ATB

Tony.