RE: Europa-List: Re: FS 02

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re: FS 02
From: craig bastin <craigb@onthenet.com.au>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 13:08:09

Possibly my intent was mistaken here, as you say gasoline has little to do
with methanol other than they are both fuels. The application I was
referring
to was a race bike. As some one else mentions today fuel manufacturers are
blending a lot more than just heptane, octane etc to make "gasoline" the
way they used to. They add various other compounds to "clean your engine
while you drive" etc etc. All i was really saying (or meaning to say) was
that I would test, test and test some more, to be as confident as possible
that the fuel available in your reigion wont dissolve the redux. Personally
I know some epoxy systems can be used to fabricate fuel tanks and sumps with
no problems at all, provided it is done correctly. before i got my europa
kit
i seriously considered scratch building my own design, and that was one
thing
I was looking for in an epoxy system, both chemical and heat resistance, and
it was supprisingly cheap $120 for 20 litres. One thing that may be of
benefit is the addition of "wax" to the redux for use IN fuel. This is what
the composite suppliers here all said i should do if I was making a fuel
tank
or the like from kevlar or carbon fibre. I believe this makes it less
"pourous" at a molecular level and so even more resistant to chemical
attack.
sorry if I created a lot of confusion over this.