RE: Europa-List: Travel to Italy and Czecko

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Travel to Italy and Czecko
From: Kurt A. Schumacher <Kurt.Schumacher@schumi.ch>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:45:55

Hello Bob,

Italy is great fun to fly. Look out for some Fly-In, e.g. by the Italian
homebuilder
organization "Federazione C.A.P." and (try to
- not always that easy, hard to believe, eh?) communicate with the local pilots.
Find some links and information on
http://www.experimental.ch/content/view/101/23/ ...

For some a slight disadvantage - pure VFR (no comms...) requires you to stay
below
1000 ft/GND always. Otherwise, just contact the
local radar - no problems for you anyway. Most military trained controllers -
helpful
and nice.

Then - avoid big commercial traffic airports in Italy. Plenty of alternate neat
places - and some private fields to drop in. Other
places like Isola d'Elba, Ferrara, Firenze, or Siena are a must to see,
regardless
of some taxes to expect.

In case you intend to fly to/from Switzerland - do NOT clear customs in Italy
unless
required (e.g. to head south or southeast
over the Adriatic Sea or the Mediterranean Sea. Select alternate Schengen
regulatory
airfields, e.g. Dornbirn in Austria - from/to
there you can head south/north over Switzerland again (nice trip - and not to
high
mountains!) and avoid the regulated airspace
around Milano to the west and Bergamo to the east.

I hope that helps you planning the next trips.

Fly safe!

Regards,

-Kurt.
EAS Webmaster