Europa-List: RE: Europa-List Digest: 9 Msgs - 08/10/07

Subject: Europa-List: RE: Europa-List Digest: 9 Msgs - 08/10/07
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 09:54:23
Raimo,
 From: "Raimo Toivio" <raimo.toivio@rwm.fi>
 Subject: Re: Europa-List: BATTERY MASTER SWITCH
 Dear Ferg   here is my solution.
 I divided the electrical consumption in two as follows:

 1) starter, trimming devices, stall warning, gear warning,
 door warnings, clock, Dynon back-upp charger, burglary-alarm etc.
 This is handled by full mechanic main-swithch
 which is installed over the glove shelf (it does not
 prevent removing the panel, it is light weight, cheap
 and solid and it is operated w/o el pwr).
 The switch is about similar somebody has installed
 to the co-pilots head rest in the case his accu is in the back.
 Price was about 15 euros.
I`m interested to know where you got the mechanical switch and
what amperes it will switch..

2) all the rest is handled by small automotive type relay
 http://www.biztee.com/Products/2649.html
 using about 30 mA. It handles 40A which is enough for me.
 I use it by "master switch" in my panels left side.
 Price was about 5 euros.
That sounds ideal, too. thanks for the address
 - normally # 1 is always open and # 2 is closed
 (trim CB must open also separately!).
 - when flying both are closed (ON) of course.
 - in the case of emergency landing I open # 2 and
 leave # 1 closed - so I am still able to start, use trim
 and have all the warnings I am used to (and clock is in time!)
 - during long (more than two weeks) staying period I open (OFF) both
 This was simple, cheap, lightweight, prctical and safe solution for my
purposes.
 Wishes, Raimo
I`m keen to add about 15 amps for Amateur radio equipment, so
the 40A looks good as well. Perhaps I can find something like that
here. I have to keep some current for 2 fuel pumps for the 914 which
complicates it a bit. I am installing a MiniMac computor to run my
software for Nav and position reporting. The position reports are
routed to my home computor so I have a flight log waiting when I come
home, plus wherever it stops enroute is where Search & Rescue look
for my crash....
Cheers again!
Ferg