Europa-List: Mod 74 - progress

Subject: Europa-List: Mod 74 - progress
From: David.Corbett <david.corbett5@btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 19:11:57
This is how day one has gone:

1 hour to round up the tools, trestles, and borrow a fuselage cradle from
Robin James's trailer.

2 hours - achieved the following for both wings:

removed the old pins (as insulation I used two thicknesses of 8mm ply,
drilled to a tight fit over the pins, with a layer of kitchen foil between
the two ply's and another layer in front); 3 blasts of the hot air gun
released the pins for removal with molegrips

screwed in the new pins - which turn fairly easily using the pip pins and
finger pressure to turn them - and measured and marked them; they match up
well

cut the holes in the lower wing surface and cleaned out the holes and the
dug out the channels against the ribs.

Tomorrow I will offer up the wings for trial fit, and make the flox fillets
under the washers, and also prepare the infill blocks of blue Styrofoam. I
will also sand off around the holes ready for the lay-up, and prepare the
BID patches.

On the next working day (away Wednesday) we will replace the wings and
Loctite the pins in their correct positions; my inspector will inspect and,
all being well, I will lay up the covers over the holes.

One or two more days for filling and sanding, and I should be flying by the
weekend.

All in all, not nearly as bad as I had expected - but I have the space and
the tools, and the materials on site.

David

G-BZAM