Europa-List: Europa Tailplane.

Subject: Europa-List: Europa Tailplane.
From: Mike Parkin <mikenjulie.parkin@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:37:50
All,

Bob, it was not my intention to tie in your modification with anything.
I was merely pointing out that the poor design had required
modifications such as your clamp and the increased diameter pins.  I
appreciate that you want to get flying again and my suggestion was not
meant as the only answer.  Plainly, the PFA in consultation Europa(2004)
will devise a mod or series of mods to solve the immediate problem.
However, in the longer term I do believe that the pitch control needs
modification.  New kits certainly need to have a system that is stronger
and more durable.  Perhaps along the lines that Graham is suggesting.
Certainly Carls pin idea and the latch system discussed are all worthy
of consideration for a long term fix for the current system.

Jos, all you say is true.  However these tens of thousands of hours have
been amassed by a large number of low hour aircraft.  As we get more
high hour europas around, the problem is likely to become worse.  The
subject of sloppy tailplanes/pilot error and what we accept as
serviceable to fly needs to be carefully worded, europa owners are not
the only people to read the messages on this site.  I think we would all
be wise to avoid any pre-judging of William's tragic accident.

My tailplanes have neglible play and the original pip pin holes were
done in accordance with the manual.  However, for aircraft that have
shown wear,  the tolerance allowed for the play between the tailplanes
seems excessive to me.  Can you imagine accepting such a movement
between split elevators on a metal aircraft - certified or not.  The
standard of homebuilt europas will naturally vary with the ability of
the builder.  Therefore, I think it is essential to design a build for
the lowest common denominator.  The inspector should be the standards
man, but with the utmost respect for our inspectors, there is variation
there also.  Why not have a re-designed system that takes the
requirement for a subjective assessment out of the loop altogether.

I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with improving the
current tailplane configuration such that it satisfies the airworthiness
requirements.  I will be implementing those improvements along with
everyone else.  For those operators who consider that to be enough, then
it is not for me to comment on their decision.

My major point is that I would like to see a modified pitch system that
does not have any slop, that will provide a rugged tailplane that will
stand up to rough grass strips for a long time and many hours.
Obviously, the cost of new tailplanes will be considered an unnecessary
expense by some people and that is up to them.

If Europa(2004) design an improved torque tube, tailplanes and retention
system.  They can put me down as No1 on the list - NOW.

regards,

Mike