Europa-List: Flutter?

Subject: Europa-List: Flutter?
From: William Harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:37:06
Thanks, Mike.

That was my guess - a year before we can read it.

At the moment, the PFA are taking a scattergun approach to checking
anything they can think of which might contribute towards tailplane
flutter (what else can they do in the circumstances?). In addition,
the wording is still couched as "..may have been caused by flutter".
Although I have no doubt that the eventual findings will be
thoroughly researched, I expect others may share my impatience that
the precise failure mode is not yet known with certainty: was it
really initiated by tailplane flutter? if so, precisely which factor
or combination of factors led to the flutter? What else could lead to

the whole tailplane detaching?

As an aside, are there any aerodynamcists out there who can guide the

rest of us about fluttering systems where there is backlash present?
Is knowledge of these based on art, science or black art? Likewise,
is there anyone out there who knows what flutter was ever experienced

with the early prototypes, or indeed with later machines?

One other thing. I heard on the grapevine that the accident aircraft
was returning from some pretty invasive maintenance when it crashed.
Does anyone know what the maintenance was and therefore what parts of

the airframe were "disturbed"?

Willie