Europa-List: ENGINE FAILURE AFTER TAKE-OFF

Subject: Europa-List: ENGINE FAILURE AFTER TAKE-OFF
From: van eldik <ave@tulips7.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:39:20

I started my flying with gliding and mostly winch launches. The
stringent drill in case of a cable break in the high nose up attitude
of the take-off is still deeply engrained. I often practise forced
landings starting from a climb at full power going through the same
drill.

Flight Safety Vol 43  had an article on Stall/Spin which mentions
that research has shown that a voice warning can often capture a
pilot's immediate intention to the seriousness of a situation
especially if such warning is piped into the pilot's headset. As a
result I have installed Smart Avionics speaking airspeed indicator
MK2 which give a voice speaking the airspeed . In director mode the
airspeed is continuously measured and compared to a selected target
speed. As wing loading increases the unit calculates how much this
will increase the stall speed and subtracts that amount from the
current airspeed so immediately reporting that the aircraft is slow
even though the actual airspeed has not (yet) changed. I use a 60 kts
director mode both in take-off and landing which I found very helpful
in reminding me when to slow.By the way I have no interests in Smart
Avionics but thought my experience might be of use to others.

My Classic 912 UL  mono has the electric flap system of the tri-gear
and fixed down outriggers.After lift off and 60 kts I raise the gear
and start retracting the flaps in stages. In case of a forced landing
I have the choice to lower the wheel or land wheel up. In the latter
configuration the aircraft stops very quickly . I know that from
experience.

Anthony van Eldik
Mono Classic G-FLOR
912 UL with Airmaster AP308