Re: Europa-List: Oil Pressure Sender

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Oil Pressure Sender
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 08:53:01

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the suggestion.

As part of the annual service we check compression and it is OK.
Additionally there has been no significant change in the climb performance
when we do the yearly flight check (about 800fpm)

As far as we can determine the engine is delivering full power and last
weekend I did a static power run and achieved 5,200RPM which is what we
would have expected.

I presume you are responding to the VP prop thread as "oil pressure" wouldnt
change with loss of compression (there would be an increase in oil
consumption though - which there isnt). In any event our sender is over
reading (80psi) which if true would indicate a blockage or restriction. This
wold be accompanied by a sharp increase in temperature (due to reduced
cooling) - and then something nasty (like a siezure).

Anyway the new sender arrived yesterday so hopefully the oil pressure issue
will be resolved soon. The sender was almost identical to the VDO one except
its made in Hungary. Theres a warning in the packet to say that they wont
guarantee the sender unless it is remotely mounted from the engine
(apparently they are extensively used in modern motorcycles)

Regards,

Carl Pattinson.