Re: Europa-List: W18 plate alignment problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: W18 plate alignment problem
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 13:05:50

On Saturday, May 19, 2007, at 11:21  AM, Andrew Sarangan wrote:

>  outboard double-W18 plates in the wing...
>  The plates are not perfectly parallel; the leading edge of the W18's
> are fine, but the trailing edge is 1-2mm wider than necessary.

Andrew,

In case you have yet to determine how to address this, IMHO any
reasonable solution should be focused on not generating bending
stresses on any of the components (including the portion of W18
embedded in the wing) when the bolts are tightened.

It would also be worthwhile to determine as best you can that the
misalignment did not result in air bubbles within the W18 embedment
and rib reinforcement.

I suspect we all have those occasions when we get to look at our
personal standards; as I used to tell my staff, "we can only strive for
perfection".

Fred